Bragg Creek, Alberta
In Calgary and looking for a short day trip? Whether you’re an outdoors-type person or just want a change of scenery, Bragg Creek, Alberta has something to offer you. The hamlet has fewer than 1000 people, but the wilderness that surrounds it more than makes up for it. See for yourself why the area has become so popular with film and TV makers.
History of Bragg Creek, Alberta
When two Nova Scotian brothers discovered this beautiful fire-ravaged piece of land between the forestry reserve, the Sarcee Indian Reserve and the Provincial Park, they thought it would be perfect for ranching. So, they made their homes there. As others moved into the area, the Bragg Creek Trading Post was erected making the area a main trading centre for the area’s settlers and aboriginals. A few short years later, oil was discovered in the area bringing even more people to the little hamlet.
Before long, tourists also began to flock to the area for its unspoiled wilderness, which lead to the area becoming a popular weekend and retirement destination. As a result, North America’s first youth hostel was built nearby.
Today, Bragg Creek is better known for its time on the big screen. Since the 1980s, the area has been featured in several films and TV shows including Storm, Betrayed, CBC’s North of 60 and BBC’s Dinosapien.
Interesting Facts About
- The location has attracted several summer camps including Easter Seals Camp Horizon.
- Bears, flooding and fire are the biggest risk to the town’s residents.
- The hamlet encourages residents to create a map to their homes that can be given to visitors.
Bragg Creek Amenities
- The powderface42 Marathon and Half-Marathon
- Tsuu Tina Pow Wow and Rodeo
- Spirit of Christmas
- TransRockies Mountain Bike Race
- Bragg Creek Performing Arts Events
- Heritage Mile
- Ing’s Mine
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Hiking and Biking Trails
- Moose Mountain Horseback Adventures
- Bragg Creek Paintball
- Inside Out Experience
- Sleigh Rides
- ReNew You Studio & Day Spa
Restaurants & Bars
- Bavarian Inn Restaurant
- LoKo’s Lounge
- Powderhorn Saloon
- Joey’s Seafood Restaurant
- Cinnamon Spoon
- Riverside Chateau
- Redwook Meadows Bed & Breakfast
- High Country House
- Whiskey Creek Bed & Breakfast
- Countryside Inn