Alberta’s second-largest city, Edmonton, Alberta is also the province’s cultural hub. No matter what you’re interested in, the city is sure to have an attraction or event related to it. It’s also close to Canada’s north and the mountains, so it’s a fantastic destination to include in your travel itinerary.
History of Edmonton, Alberta
People have lived in the Edmonton area since about 12,000 BC. However, the settlement only dates back to about 1754 and the arrival of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s explorer Anthony Henday as he attempted to establish the fur trade in the area. A few decades later, Fort Edmonton was built on the northern bank of the river. (It was named after Edmonton, London, which was the hometown of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s deputy governor.)
Photo Credit : hobolens
It would be almost 100 years until the CPR arrived and the Klondike Gold Rush began, but when they did, the settlement spread to south side of the North Saskatchewan River and quickly became one of western Canada’s most important major centers. (In fact, it amalgamated with the city of Strathcona in 1912.) Today, the city is Alberta’s second largest with a population of approximately 1 million people.
Interesting Facts About Edmonton
- Edmonton hosts more than 30 festivals annually.
- It’s home Canada’s largest mall, which is equivalent to 48 city blocks.
- Metropolitan Edmonton includes more than 70 golf courses.
- You’ll get the best view of the city from the High Level Bridge.
- The city is home to more than 30 species of mosquitoes.
- Blatchford Field, which is now known as Edmonton City Centre Airport, is Canada’s first licensed airfield.
- Ice on Whyte Festival
- Edmonton International Street Performers Festival
- Canadian Finals Rodeo
- Many other festivals and events throughout the year
- Fort Edmonton Park
- Alberta Government House
- Royal Alberta Museum
- John Walter Museum and Historic Site
Activities & Attractions
- Sunridge Ski Area
- Alberta Railway Museum
- West Edmonton Mall
- And many other attractions and activities to keep you busy
Restaurants & Bars
- Duchess Bake Shop
- Continental Treat Fine Bistro
- Hardware Grill
- Normand’s Restaurant
- Tzin Wine and Tapas
- Izakaya Tomo
- Hampton Inn & Suites
- Courtyard Edmonton West
- Green Acres Bed and Breakfast
- Stained Glass Guest House
- Shakers Acres RV Park Year-Round Campground