West of Edmonton, in the Rocky Mountain’s Athabasca River Valley, you’ll find Jasper, Alberta and Jasper National Park — The perfect spot to base your Rocky Mountain vacation from. With a ton of activities and conveniences, it has everything you could need for your trip. The town also has a variety of winter and summer activities to fill your Alberta travel itinerary.
History of Jasper, Alberta
Originally a trading post for the North West Company, the area’s location would make it an important stop for traders and settlers on their way to Fort Vancouver. The regions majestic views would call to them, however, and in 1907 they would establish Jasper National Park and the railway siding Fitzhugh four years later. It wasn’t until J. Matheson arrived to survey the area in 1913 that the area was renamed and the town of Jasper would come into existence.
Photo Credit : Frank Kovalchek
Today, this quaint little town consists of approximately four thousand people and has a number of amenities and activities for tourists throughout the year.
Interesting Facts About Jasper
- The town of Jasper wasn’t accessible by road from Edmonton until 1931. The Icefields Parkway didn’t open between Banff and Jasper until 1940.
- The Jasper Railway Station still caters to two passenger services three times per week: The Canadian and the Jasper-Prince Rupert Train.
- The town’s newspaper The Fitzhugh is named after the train siding that led to the area’s settlement.
- Jasper and Jasper Park Lodge have always been a favourite vacation spot for celebrities. Some who have visited here include Bing Crosby, Marilyn Monroe and Queen Elizabeth.
- Like Banff, Alberta, residency and development in Jasper is highly regulated by the government.
Arts & Culture
- Habitat for the Arts
- Jasper Yellowhead Museum
- The Den – Jasper’s Wildlife Museum
- Jasper Art Gallery
- Yellowhead Regional Arts Festival
- Jasper Street Dance
- Annual Big Rock Barbeque Cook Off
- Alberta Culture Days
- Athabasca Falls
- Ice Walks at Maligne Canyon
- Columbia Ice Field
- Jasper Tramway
- Jasper Information Centre
- Jasper Park Golf Course
- Winter Train Tours
Restaurants & Bars
- Patricia Street Deli
- The Bear’s Paw
- Tekarra Restaurant
- Oka Sushi
- Evil Dave’s Grill
- Fiddle River Seafood Co
- The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
- Alpine Village Cabin Resort
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
- Marmot Lodge
- Sawridge Inn and Conference Center Jasper
- Chateau Jasper