The bustling town of Macklin, Saskatchewan has found itself smack dab in the middle of one of the most productive oil and gas fields in the country. And with its recent growth, the town is able to offer many of the conveniences of a large city without the hustle and bustle that often comes with it. While you’re here, be sure to try your hand at a game of bunnock, visit the town’s historic sites and take some fantastic photos of the countryside.
History of Macklin, Saskatchewan
Named for the Winnipeg Free Press executive Harry Macklin who followed and reported on the progress of the railway, Macklin became a town in 1912. Subsequently, the streets in town were named after famous newspapers of the time. While the town has continued to survive and prosper, it hasn’t been without its hardships. A cyclone destroyed much of the town in 1909. A series of fires then wiped out much of the town’s businesses several years later.
Over the years, many of the original buildings have been replaced with modern facilities. Oil and gas has become another of the town’s main industries, but the town’s history and its agricultural roots have not been forgotten.
Interesting Facts About Macklin, Saskatchewan
- The town’s population easily doubles in size during the annual Bunnock World Championships.
- Home of the famous Canadian minimalist painter Agnes Bernice Fenwick Martin whose paintings have sold upwards of $2 million.
- Home of one of the most powerful men in the history of the NHL Clarence Sutherland Campbell.
- Area industry includes pea and sunflower farming as well as livestock such as ostrich and bison.
Attractions & Historic Sites
- Agnes Bernice Fenwick Martin Memorial
- Clarence Sutherland Campbell Memorial
- St. Anthony’s Church
- Numerous archaeological sites, burial sites, ghost towns and cairns
- Eid House Museum
- Heritage of Hope
- World’s Largest Bunnock
- World Championship Bunnock Tournament
- Prairie Egg Gathering (A gathering of RV enthusiasts)
- St. Lawrence, Macklin and Hallam Lakes
- Lakeview Golf Course
- Photos By Doug
- U Pick Saskatoon Berries
- Flix on Main
Restaurants & Bars
- Carol’s Eats & Treats
- Delta Co-op
- Macklin Red Rooster
- North Park Gas-Up
- Peking Garden Restaurant
- Borderline Club
- La Pizzeria On Main
- Prairie Room
- The Pepper Tree Restaurant
- Macklin Lake Regional Park
- Macklin Motor Inn
- Rainbow Motor Inn
- Denzil Hotel
- Macklin Hotel