Maple Creek, Saskatchewan
Close to Medicine Hat, Alberta, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park, Fort Walsh, Eastend, Robsart, and many other area hot spots, Maple Creek, Saskatchewan makes it easy to settle in and explore the local area. The lifestyle and skyline are much the same as they were more than 100 years ago, so you’ll not just see the area’s heritage, but get an opportunity to live it. It’s everything you need for a memorable Saskatchewan experience.
History of Maple Creek, Saskatchewan
Originally a First Nations farmsite, settlement didn’t really get started until a small group of Canadian Pacific Rail labourers decided to stay behind and spend the winter along the Creek. While some would eventually leave the area, the rest began farming in the area and Maple Creek was born.
Interesting Facts About Maple Creek
- Murraydale Stampede & Picnic has been held every year since 1909. Durring war years, the proceeds were used to purchase war bonds.
- Thousands of people from across North America attend the 3-day Cowboy Poetry event. In 2012, the event included 45 vendors, 40 performers over the three days.
- Maple Creek is often the warmest spot in the province throughout the winter due to the chinook winds that often blow here.
Attractions & Historic Sites
- Jasper Cultural & Historical Museum
- Commercial Hotel
- St. Mary’s Anglican Church
- W. R. Orr Heritage Building
- S.W. Saskatchewan’s Oldtimers’ Museum
- Battle of the Little Big Puck
- Maple Creek Heritage Festival
- Maple Creek Cowtown Rodeo
- Taste of Maple Creek Food Festival
- Maple Creek Cowboy Poetry Gathering & Western Art Show
- Murraydale Stampede & Picnic
- Cypress Hills Vineyard & Winery
- Maple Creek Swimming Pool, Playground & Waterpark
- Maple Creek Arena
- Maple Creek Curling Rink
Restaurants & Bars
- The Rocking Horse Cookhouse & Bar
- The Star Cafe
- Bel Air
- The BC Cafe
- Redmond House
- China City Restaurant
- Cypress Pizza & Chicken
- Caroline’s Drive In
- Jack’s Cafe
- Cypress Hills Motor Inn
- Redmond House
- Maple Creek Inn
- Ghostown Blues B&B
- Historic Reesor Ranch
- Eagle Valley Campground
- Willowbend Campground